12/14/2005

The Journey. An ongoing story of a young man.

Chapter 1 - Get out and don't come back!

Day One......

It was an evening in mid September. Raining, dreary and unseasonably cold for Evan's little town in western Maryland. The leaves were turning and the trees looked like ominous shadows against the black and gray stormy sky. Evan and his Dad had been arguing again. Evan's hair was getting too long and Dad just didn't understand. Evan who had turned 17 in May had his own ideas and wasn't going to change for anyone. What with the crisis (war) in Vietnam in full swing and Evan more than likely to be drafted within a couple of years and probably be dead before he was 19. He was going to do his own thing no matter what.

Dylan was topping the pop charts and the Who was smashing equipment and raging rock and roll had taken Evan to a new place. Evan had always been a good boy. Never got in trouble. His Mom (Jean) and Dad (Dick) just couldn't figure out what had went wrong with him. To Evan nothing had went wrong at all in fact everything was just right. But that night changed Evan forever. That night, arguing with his Dad concerning just about everything Evan believed in, it happened. His Dad threw him out. And with the words that never escaped Evan's mind to this day. He said, get out and don't ever come back.

Evan went into his room shattered and locked the door. His Dad promptly kicked the door open. His dad had been a victim of child abuse as a young boy and couldn't resist acting like his Dad. Evan was crying and Dick said you want something to cry about? I'll give you something to cry about boy, in a very loud and angry voice as he slapped Evan upside the head. Evan had been slapped by his Dad before but this time he decided to fight back. Dad promptly drew up a fist an knocked Evan through the wall. Dick said again in that tone that says I hate you. Get the hell out of my house NOW!

At that point Evan scraping himself up off the floor proceeded to pack an old duffel bag he picked up at the Goodwill store. A few pair of pants? Evan couldn't even think any more. Lets see a shirt? Yea I'll need a shirt. Socks he muttered to himself. As Dick yelled you got something to say to me boy! Evan answered in a trembling voice, no sir. You better not Dick said. The whole time this was going on Evans Mother had been begging Dick to stop. He just kept telling her that god damn boy has got to get the hell out of my house. She said no, it is my house too. Dick never did treat Jean very well as he yelled you can get the hell out too. Evan grabbed a few more things and stuffed them in his bag. By this point he could hardly see for the tears and the headache he had. Evan headed toward the front door. When Dick stopped him right at the door and said just where the hell do you think your going. You told me to leave Dad, Evan muttered. Get the hell back in your god damn room and go the hell to bed exclaimed Dick before I kick your ass. Evan tried to push his way past Dick but he knocked Evan down again and ordered him back to his room. Evan dragging his duffel bag retreated to his room. But Evan had had enough of Dick's abuse. So he climbed out his window and left.

The rain was falling and it was windy and cold. In his haste to leave he only wore his blue jean jacket. He was freezing and afraid. Nowhere to go, nowhere to sleep, no money in his pocket. Evan's mind was racing and rushed like a freight train. He was thinking so much he didn't even realize that he had walked nearly 7 miles to the edge of town. Usually after Evan and Dick had a fight Dick would just yell through his bedroom door at him and beat Mom around before he went to bed. So Evan knew he wouldn't be missed until the morning.

Crouched beneath an interstate bridge he thought you will never see me again Dad. Then reflected on his poor Mother who would be blamed for his leaving. He got sadder and more confused. Maybe I should go home he thought. What about Mom? But why should I? Back and forth he struggled with these questions. Gathering himself together as best he could at this point he walked up onto the interstate and began to walk south. Still pondering what should I do? Just what should I do? His mind became blank except for the pondering and the thoughts of his Mom. His head was pounding with a terrible pain. Every step he took just made it hurt worse. He was drenched to the bone but didn't seem to notice.

Next thing you know he mindlessly put out his thumb. Evan had never hitch hiked before or been out this late at night by himself. Yet alone in the condition he was in. He sorta came to his senses for a second and felt the cold. Pulled up his collar, put his hands in his pockets and continued to walk on down the road. The traffic was heavy and speeding by him. When the trucks went by they created such a wind that it almost knocked him down and a blanket of water came along with it. He would turn his back to the wind and rain and shutter at the sound. Wondering, what if they don't see me standing here and run over me? Just what if? He began to think the oddest thoughts. Then it hit him like a ton of bricks. Oh my God I'm all alone. Evan mustered up his courage and held back the tears and threw his thumb straight up in the air this time. Somewhere he heard that was the way they did it in California and for a second he felt hip. I don't need anyone he said out loud. I'm going to show him he yelled. Go to hell you no good son of a bitch he exclaimed in a voice more powerful than he ever imagined he had. I'm on my own now and you will never find me. Go to hell, go to hell, go to hell, go to hell he said over and over almost like a song.

Evan was so preoccupied with his new found freedom he almost walked right into the back of a car that had stopped to pick him up. He thought for a second and said, wow man I got a ride. The cars window came down and a voice said throw your duffel bag in the back seat son and get in. It was a quite burly strong man's voice and felt very comforting. Evan did as instructed without a thought. Once in the car the man drove off. Evan said nothing he was out of the rain and the heat was on. The man was an older stately looking gentleman with gray hair. He drove a few miles without looking at Evan then he ask. What are you doing out here in the middle of the night all by yourself son. Evan searched all through his a mind for a story to tell the old man. Fidgeting and squirming to say something. The man said what's your name. Evan he said without hesitation. Where are going the man ask. Evan answered with where are you going sir? You have good manners the man exclaimed. Must come from a good family. Evan answered yes I do, thank you. The man said I'm going to west Virginia. Evan said, me too. I'm Joseph my friends call me Joe. Nice to meet you Evan. Hi Joe came easy for Evan to say. They drove for miles and nothing more was said. The heat felt so good and it was a nice big car. Well son this is my exit this is where I get off. Are you hungry? Evan surprisingly said, after thinking yes I am, no sir. Where are you going Joe said again. To my grandma's house in Florida slid out without a flaw. The car stopped and Evan buttoned up his jacket and got out. Joe said take care son it's a long way to Florida you know. Evan got his bag and told Joe, I know and thanks for the ride. Joe drove off and honked the horn. Evan waved and threw up his thumb.

The rain had stopped and the wind had died down. It was still very chilly and Evan was still wet. About 10 minutes went by and another car pulled over. An older white Mercedes it was. Evan ran to it and opened the door said hi my names Evan what's yours as he threw his bag between his legs on the floor. My names Charlie, The driver replied, nice to meet you. Evan was thinking about his Mom his head was feeling a little bit better and didn't really hear Charlie. Charlie said hey man you like Rock and Roll. Evan said yea man got any WHO?. No but if you'll get in that box in the back seat and get out the tape of Canned Heat. Evan got it. Charlie said stick it in. It was an 8 track and Charlie had speakers all over the car. Turn it up man Charlie said. So Evan did. As Charlie started to sing, goin' up the country do you want to go, goin' up the country, and Evan joined right in. They sang and sang. Charlie looked to be about 19 and had long hair, an earring, a head band and holes in his jeans. Evan thought man this guy is hip. About then Charlie reached over past Evan to the glove box and pulled out a little wooden box. You get high man he ask. Evan had not yet smoked pot but answered so as not to seem like a square, yea I do. Here then, roll one up as Charlie handed him the box. The box slid open from one side and had brass corners and a picture of a pot leaf on it. Here let me turn on the light. Evan had no idea how to roll a joint. But thought to himself about how his Grand Dad used to roll his own cigarettes and just took it from there. Light it up Charlie insisted as he turned off the light. Evan lit it and puffed it like a cigarette, blew it out and did not inhale then passed it to Charlie. Charlie said no man this is how you do it, as he took a big toke and held it in. Evan tried to hide his embarrassment and took it and toked it and coughed it all out. Thought you said you got high man Charlie exclaimed. Well really this is my first time said Evan. You'll get used to it, hit it again. Evan did. This time he held it and didn't even cough. He had forgotten about the fight with his Dad and his Mother and the idea that he was alone out in the world. Time stood still but went by like a New York minute. This is my turn off Charlie said. Want to come home with me and listen to some Dead. Evan just said no thanks. I need to get to Florida as soon as I can. Thanks anyway. Charlie replied O.K. man as he stopped the car. See ya round man as Evan climbed out. Charlie drove off and Evan began to shiver.

Oh my God where the hell am I? What am I doing out here all alone? Maybe I should just go home? I'm hungry and cold and so all alone. It's really dark. The stretch of highway he was on had no lights and there wasn't a moon it was hidden by the black storm clouds. Traffic was sparse, only 3 cars in an hour. None were stopping. He was stuck in the middle of nowhere with no place to go. Sleepy, wet, cold and stoned. He walked for quite a while and came to a bridge. He saw that he could crawl up under the road above, so he did. He felt uneasy but was so tired. He bundled up in a ball next to his bag, pulled his jean jacket around his neck and went to sleep.

Day two

18 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Oh, Kid!

This has brought more than simple tears to my eyes - I was actually crying.
I have a teenager at home & the story plucked at the heartstrings of a mother.

It is written as though you were actually there... ?

I felt the emotions, the confusion, the rain, the cold, the smell of the strangers cars, the stone. All of it.

I must be feeling a bit emotional now. I'm home alone (I should be folding laundry) & listening to Christmas music.
Tonight is my 2 younger kids' Christmas Concert. I'm looking forward to it - I usually cry at that, too.
I'm such a wuss. LOL

Looking forward to chapter 2. Keep up the great writing.

PLL!
Dale

December 14, 2005 4:22 PM  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

This is good! While I was reading it I was thinking "Quadrophenia" meets "Guylliver's Travels" and "The Little Prince".

If this is going where I think it's going, then it must be fantastic!

Sweet mama, we have some talents in our little Attic circle!

P
L :o)
L
xxM

December 14, 2005 5:43 PM  
Blogger PTfan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 14, 2005 7:46 PM  
Blogger Rich Greiner said...

Hi Kid Ric, thanks for an answer, let me know when and where on Sat. the chat is. I haven't yet listened to your song or read the story today, but I'll be back to do that later. Were we supposed to get a email with a password for Sat.? I haven't yet. Happy evening and stay warm, Rich

December 14, 2005 8:21 PM  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Ric,

you are quite the storyteller. I'm waiting for day two like I wait for Saturday installments of a certain guitar player...

Cheers,
AM

December 14, 2005 10:08 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

WOW you are so talented! You totally amaze me every time I turn around you have another talent. Whats next? OH YEAH....DAY TWO!!

Looking forward to reading it!

X-Molly

December 15, 2005 12:02 AM  
Blogger PTfan said...

KidRic,
The story is captivating.
If I were Evan I would think of my mom too. But if he were unable to help his mom any of the times before, why would that change "today"?

December 15, 2005 7:55 AM  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

What a great story...you have a great imagination and use of putting it in writing...great job!

December 15, 2005 10:48 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Oh my, tugging at the heartstrings of a mom with a 16 year old son! I am going to hug him as soon as he walks through the door! Thank you! I actually sat here and yelled at the computer for his mother to kick Dick's sorry ass out of the house!

Reading this I felt cold and wet and somewhat frightened and alone, damn your good!

You will have me coming back for more!

December 15, 2005 3:22 PM  
Blogger Janey said...

Riveting first bit ... you are quite the storyteller!

December 15, 2005 8:46 PM  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Well and vividly written, especially I like the description of the youth's confusion. Actually the last chapter reminded me of Kerouac's On The Road a bit, the bit where the main character goes hitchhiking for the first time, and ends up in the middle of the wildnerness, cold, wet, hungry, without money and not a soul in sight. Just one thing - and no offence meant: "it was a cold rainy night" is maybe a tad worn way to begin a story. It's almost like "it was a cold and stormy night", which is kind of the
stereotypical way of beginning a story in jokes and such ;)Maybe say the same thing in a different way? Keep up the great work, looking forward to more!

December 18, 2005 11:34 AM  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Ric,

Thanks for the chat for my part! Really enjoyed it.

>It was an evening in mid September. Raining, dreary and unseasonably cold. Evan and his Dad had been arguing again...........

Yes, I think that's definitely better. More descriptive. I think the weather reflects the main character's feeling/mood as he has to leave home, still a kid.

December 18, 2005 12:49 PM  
Blogger Delbut said...

As promised ric, i have read day one. I found it a very easy read and enjoyed it. I hate bullying dads. I almost - in my youthfull, inexperienced way - became one. thankfully, i stopped myself and me and the kids get on just fine. (apart from a few arguements ay?)

I will look forward to reading day two. sounds daft but I hope Evan is ok!

December 18, 2005 3:29 PM  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Ric,

>It was an evening in mid September. Raining, dreary and unseasonably cold for Evan's little town in western Maryland. The leaves were turning and the trees looked like ominous shadows against the black and gray stormy sky. Evan and his Dad..........

I think this is good. It establishes the context both in time and place.

December 19, 2005 3:01 PM  
Blogger Kid Ric said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 19, 2005 3:19 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

I'm getting into it, haven't read part two yet. I have only one little tiny critique, no biggie.On one sentence
" That night, arguing with his Dad about just about everything that Evan believed in, it happened"

I was thinking it might sound better as
" That night, arguing with his dad concerning just about everything that Evan believed in"

Because I got snagged on that.:)
When I was reading, my mind actually stopped on that,to sort it out.
Whereas it flows a little better this way.
But just a suggestion, otherwise I'm
relating to it. xoxoLisa

December 20, 2005 12:24 PM  
Blogger Kevin Seegan said...

It was magnificent, except when you diddin't use quotations when there was context. I love the plot and every other aspect, I have to go to bed so I'll read the rest tomorrow. I also saw that you knew a bit about psycology, with the child ause thing and the whole acting it out aspect. "His dad had been a victim of child abuse as a young boy and couldn't resist acting like his Dad." <- that one. Very nice detail work as well. Keep on working!

-Kevin

December 24, 2005 1:37 AM  
Blogger Kid Ric said...

Thank you all so much for reading and commenting on The Journey. You all are helping me a great deal. I appreciate your input.

Peace, love and light to one and all.

December 24, 2005 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2005 - 2006 Lightning Productions. All Rights Reserved.