12/20/2005

The Journey - Chapter One - Day two.

Today Evan awoke to the thunderous sounds of the highway above him as the big trucks came roaring over. The sun was just coming up. The sky was red and orange with sprinklings of bright almost white, yellow. The rain had stopped and the day was still. The smell of rain was still in the air and a pungent odor of diesel fuel and automobile exhaust hung like a cloud in the early morning mist. Evan looked below from his dingy little crawl space to the highway below gathered up his thoughts, grabbed his bag and climbed down from his overnight accommodations. Brushed his long black hair and tidied up a bit and promptly threw his thumb up in hopes of a ride. His stomach had began to growl a little and no one was stopping to pick him up. His clothes smelled like mildew and clung to his tall lanky frame in a most uncomfortable manner. A feeling hit him after about an hour like a terrible revelation. Oh my God what the hell am I doing out here all alone? Where am I going to go? Guess I could actually go to Florida to see Grandmom. Sure why not he thought to himself. I can't go home guess so I'll go someplace safe. He remembered when his Maw Maw would come in and tuck him in. When he was a young boy he spent a lot of time at her house. Mom and Dad fought so much that she would come over and take him home with her and he would stay for weeks at a time. He got all fuzzy and sentimental. Boy Evan's brain was racing. He muttered out load somebody please give me a ride?

At that point, all of a sudden like an answer to a prayer, a guy in a yellow bug pulled over. Evan ran down the highway. The car pulled over quite a ways down the road. And Evan did not want to miss this ride. A yellow bug he thought. This guy's gotta be cool. As he approached the car he immediately noticed that wasn't some hip dude who would sing Canned Heat as he drifted back to Charlie and his teaching him how to hit a joint. Evan stuck his head in through the now open passenger side window and gazed upon an elderly man with gray hair in a fine suit and tie, really distinguished looking, Einstein like fellow. Who said. Wait a minute I'll get out and open the trunk. Evan said thanks man as he threw in his bag. Get in the man said so Evan did. Once inside Evan noted, smells like a Doctor's office in here. Where ya comin' from young man? Evan told him Maryland. Oh I see. Hmmm? As the man shifted gears. It was a little chillier in the bug then it was standing along the highway. Seemed like every crack in that car had an air leak. Evan was still very wet. In his bleariness and the highway and all, Evan had not changed out of yesterdays' garb. And with the air blowing across his legs he is reminded that he is still very damp. He got a chill. Felt like the windows were all open.

Where you going in a very subtle but firm, definitely educated, very articulate voice was ask. Florida to see my Grandmom. She's expecting me. Don't know why, Evan thought, I told him that? In fact she had no idea that he was on his way at all. Evan envisioned his short, gray haired Grandmom and her second husband Paul as he spoke. Sorry but I'm only going to southern Virginia. Evan replied that's great man. Thanks for the ride. No problem was the response he got. Evan was wondering, so he ask. What's your name sir? Dr. Morris Trapington III. Wow the III geez how about that, the first III Evan had ever met. That's cool man your a doctor and named after your past generations. Where do you teach? Evan was full of questions and just couldn't wait to ask them. Evan was imagining that this guy had PhD in some prolific subject. I don't teach young man. I am a Doctor, a real practicing Physician, Doctor! I have been a Doctor for 56 years. Teach? Huh! Evan immediately thought of a joke his Great Grand Father used to say. He thought naw I shouldn't tell this joke to this guy. Oh well why not! Hey are you just practicing or are you a real doctor Morris? If your a real doctor you wouldn't need to practice now would you? Chuckled Evan. My Great Grand Dad taught me that one. Hahaha.

What did you say your name was young man? As Morris turned with a stern look. I didn't tell you yet! My name is Evan from Maryland. Remember? I'm going to Florida to see my Grandmaw Evan volunteered. Oh! Well nice to meet you Evan. Very funny Joke. I think I've heard it before. Your Grand Dad must have been a funny man. What did he do? Evan without delay began to tell Morris all about his Great Grand Father. He is still alive and 92 years old and gets around like he is 30 and is sharp as a tack and.... Evan was very found of his Great Grand Dad, Baw. Good old S.W. was a, to say the least, old fashin' man and still active at 92 years old. Carpenter by trade.

The storm was just up ahead and Evan was estimating how far away when the rain started gradually and became worse and worse. The wipers on the bug hardly worked at all and the defroster was more of an air conditioner and didn't help at all. After awhile they had driven through the storm and it was behind Evan again. Evan went on and on about his Great Grand Dad till Morris had to cut him off. This is my exit. Evan really didn't hear what Morris said and went on and on until Morris pulled over and said. Well Evan, I hope you make it to Florida safely. There is my turn just up ahead. Here let me get the trunk. Once out of the car Evan offered Morris a hand shake and Morris excepted with a firm but gentle handshake. Thanks for the ride Morris. No problem now you be careful and take care. As he got in the car and drove away.

Instead of hitch hiking right away Evan decided to walk. The cars flew by as if he was at a race track walking down the front straight away. The big trucks were scary. The wind they could carry and the vacuum like effect they make after they go by. It was still very chilly and Evan decided that he had to get out of those wet smelly clothes. So he ran up a hill through the pine trees and got to a spot far enough away from the highway and changed into semi dry clothes. The woods were peaceful and very quite. The smell of the trees was so powerful. You would never know that right over this little knoll there was a super highway. Evan sat down on a log and took a deep breath. Made Evan remember when Jean would get out the Pinesol and scour the house. He smiled. Used to stink up the whole damned house Dick used to say. Jean kept a very clean house. Evan's Mom was very youthful looking with her light brown shoulder length hair and tall figure. Although she worked a full time job as a clerk at a local grocery store she still always seemed to have time to cook and clean. Most of all she made time to spend with Evan. He missed her so much and could not imagine never seeing her again. The tears just would not stop. Evan was thinking over the past days events. Torn up and confused as hell. Yea I'll make it to Florida. Evan picked up his duffel bag and headed out to the highway. As he got closer the sounds of the highway got louder and louder. Like rollin' thunder. When he threw up his thumb. California style reaching out into the traffic. Made him feel kind of like a dare devil act. There he was again 45 minutes and no one Evan looked at stopped to pick him up. He could see and smell the storm moving in on him again and the wind was picking up! He tried to make eye contact with the on coming motorist but to no avail. People just were not interested in this long haired hippy looking kid on the side of the road. Evan was really hungry and his mouth tasted like garbage. In his haste and confusion in leaving he did not bring a tooth brush and the odor of the highway was about to make him sick. It was looking like the storm was gonna' catch up with him soon if he didn't get a ride.

Evan had counted nearly 700 cars and no one would stop. Another hour went by and still no ride. A few hawks had gathered overhead and they seemed to be stalking him. Another hour went by and the storm is about a mile away. So Evan set out walking as fast as he could. Both hands in his, still damp, blue jean jacket pockets. Off in the distance he spotted a bridge. The storm was moving in on him fast. He walked faster and faster. A few rain drops were falling and the sky was getting black as coal. He began to run as the rain got harder and harder. Then it began to sleet. The roads got slippery real fast. It was like they were covered with diamonds when the car headlights hit them. It wasn't night time but it was dark enough to be. Lightning was striking all around the wind was blowing with a gail force. Finally Evan made it to the bridge. He stopped to get his breath and sat down on the railing. The wind came through like the bridge was a wind tunnel. So Evan climbed up under the bridge to the little crawl space. There you go Evan thought. Frickin' wet and cold again. Your a no good son of a bitch Dad. I'm gone you ass hole. I hope you are happy. Evan knew his Mom was suffering over his leaving. She loved him so much. Dick was more than likely bitching her out more than ever now and trying to lay the blame on her. Evan got super sad and cried. I'm sorry Mom. I am truly sorry. Yea, Dad I'm out here all by myself! Wet and cold and frickin' hungry because of you! I'll never come home again. I'll never go home, never!

Shivering as the wind cut by him at what seemed to be 90 miles an hour. The sounds of the trucks roaring overhead were almost deafening. Evan came up with the idea to build a fire. But where would he find anything to burn? Everything would be way to wet. No fire tonight. The storm kept on raging and Evan began to feel trapped. A couple of times the wind had whipped into his little crawl space and about ripped him out of it. The thunder was crashing and the lightning flashing about every 3 seconds. Evan curled up to his bag and tried to smush into a corner and cover up with it. The wind kept blowing sheets of rain in on him. The storm settled down to a mild rumble about an hour or so later. You could hear the thunder rolling as the storm moved farther south. Great now I'm chasing the storm. Well I guess that's better than the storm chasing me. He grinned. Still raining and coming down by the bucket. Time to try to sleep. Time to get as comfortable as possible. Not going anywhere tonight. Took him hours to fall asleep. It was like all the exhaust fumes gathered up in the crawl space. Evans mind kept racing with all that had happened. Maybe I should just go home and make peace with my Dad. Why did all of this have to happen? How's my Mom? I'm hungry, sad, bewildered and confused. Sleep on and off. Hard to get comfortable. Wet, cold and nauseous.

Day three

13 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Dear Kid

Sniff...

It was easier to read today.

You describe the emotions so well. I'm sure it's how I'd feel in the same situation.
I love the bit about you chasing the storm instead of it chasing you.
It could be considered slightly metaphorical in nature.

I am looking forward to your next installment after Christmas.

My mum & dad are arriving from Montreal tomorrow to stay for a week.

Peace, love & light to you and yours.

Dale

December 20, 2005 11:44 AM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

The tale is being told well, the descriptions are good.Nothing needs to be changed so much as it needs a little better( minor) editing for spelling and commas, quotation marks and such. But that's nothing. :)
But the "story" itself is pretty well written, I think anyway. And it's compelling. :)
It took me awhile to get over here but it's because I knew I was going to pay attention and not half-ass it. :)
IOW, I knew I was going to spend some time here on this.:) So I had to make some time.
Good Job, I think, KR.
Happy Holidays, enjoy whatever your plans are :)xoxoLisa

December 20, 2005 12:39 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

BTW, I wrote "story" in quotations because this is really your life, right?
So it's really your life story. It's not really a story, in the sense of fiction, is what I'm trying to say. It's a true account.:)

December 20, 2005 12:41 PM  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

I'm really liking this. It's written from the point of view of a 16 year old and works very well. It reads like you'd experienced this yourself.

December 20, 2005 2:10 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

OH HI! Another chapter....let me come back to read properly tonight. I am hungry but just checking in to say hello my friend!!

PLL and XX-Molly

December 20, 2005 4:01 PM  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

I was waiting for that, I told you on the chat I was...
Read it with eyes wide open, I feel with Evan...!
I can't think of young people feeling cold and alone, it's so sad.

It's looking good, Kid Ric!

P
L
L

xxM

December 20, 2005 7:40 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Yes "After New Years Chat" would be great. I do not want it solely dedicated to just Attic Fans or Pete Fans...but everyone welcome. I think however it would be lovely to invite them. Rachel was sweet to come last time and I am sure would be enjoyable to chat with again!!

I am reading your blog now...brb to comment on it

December 20, 2005 9:58 PM  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Ric,

thanks for posting the second chapter. I will enjoy the birthday treat on the 27th. I've just come home from a staff party and so the eyes are a bit blurry, but I'll read this tomorrow for sure!

Cheers,
AM

December 20, 2005 10:25 PM  
Blogger b o o said...

700 cars, hawks, hungry, sad, bewildered, confused, uncomfortable, wet, cold & nauseous - sounds like my typical day.

great story, can't wait for the third day. thanks for sharing.

ho ho ho {kidric}

December 21, 2005 3:12 AM  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Wooooo! I like the new logo at the top!

December 21, 2005 7:53 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Just read it....wow you are talented! Is there anything you CANNOT do?? By the way what do you call this? Did I miss the title??

PUBLISH babe

December 22, 2005 5:28 AM  
Blogger Kid Ric said...

Thank you all so much for reading and commenting on "The Journey". You all are helping me a great deal. I appreciate your input.

Peace, love and light to one and all.

December 24, 2005 10:39 AM  
Blogger PTfan said...

I would like to be a mom like Evan's mom. She worked a full tim ejob yet found time to make sure her house was clean, cook good meals AND spent time with her boy, which is of course the most important. I am having a har dtime balancing all of this in my life. The meals are just thrown together or we get fast food. The house is suffering the most. My house used to be so clean. I LOVE Pine -Sol! One thing that I will not let suffer is my children. I let everything go and tend to their needs. I am always there for them no matter what else is going on. Being a single mom is an adjustment but I will make it work!

January 16, 2006 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2005 - 2006 Lightning Productions. All Rights Reserved.